Thursday, September 15, 2011

Oh, Peeta ... I love you more than I do Edward

So. I am kinda obsessed with "The Hunger Games."

If you haven't read the trilogy and you like getting absorbed in fast-paced stories, you may like them. I read the books in about two days each and if I didn't have a toddling baby, I probably would have read them in one sitting. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out the conclusion.

That being said... they aren't spectacularly written. They are comparable to the Twilight books (however, much better than the obscenely horrible Twilight movies) in that the characters are relatable and the story engrossing but lacking sophistication and depth. It is Young Adult fiction, so you know, maybe author Suzanne Collins was trying to make it appeal to that audience and didn't want to reach further than what she did.

Though it's YA, "The Hunger Games" (and the other trilogy books "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay") deal with extremely disturbing subject matter. I don't want to give anything away, because I hope you will read these books, but I can say this: After I read them, I told Jon, "Dear God, I hope they don't make these into movies. I would have to watch them but I think I'd have nightmares for weeks."

Of course... they are making the first movie right now.

I loved reading these books the same way some people love looking at disturbing art. They were fascinating but utterly troubling. I'm certain that was Collins' intention, and I can't help but feel the very people she satirizes are those who will enjoy watching these films.

and... I'm one of them. Maybe that's the most disturbing thing of all to me....

No comments:

Post a Comment